Monday, July 30, 2007

He finished strong.

A good man went to be with the Lord. He lived 93 years on this earth. He dedicated those years to service to our Lord. His life was full. I was a better person for knowing him. Many were better for knowing this man.

George Oakes. A grandfather but not mine.

Married for 51 years to spunky Charlene. They met in language school in Brazil. They had two boys. Those two boys married and each had two children. George's clan.

Never have I met a man so steadfast in his faith. He walked with God. He yearned to do His work. How blessed for his old bones to rest and for God to say "well done, good and faithful servant. You never tired in this race. Enter into My rest and enjoy your reward."

We visited with his widow, Charlene this past Saturday. I teared up so many times as she shared his last days. Even in the throes of a confused mind, he challenged his family, "I am going home to be with the Lord. You stay here and do His work. There is a man in the next bed who does not know our Lord. Share with him."

And his family did. Without a moment's hesitation.

I could go on and on b/c this man and his wife inspire me to love my God more, to fight through whatever sin entangles me and strive for the prize - Christ Jesus, who laid it all down in order to sit at the right hand of the throne of God.

I grieve, not because George is no longer with us. No man would find more joy than being with his Savior. I grieve that Shawn and I did not spend more time in his presence, being spurred on in our faith.

Friends, Christ's love compels us. His servants remind us of that.

One last thing. Charlene shared a George-ism with us that really sunk deep into our hearts. I pray it takes root in yours:

(hear these words in a wonderful deep British tongue) "If you are going to worry, don't pray. If you are going to pray, don't worry."

Simple but profound and so much more - challenging. A God big enough to save our souls from destruction is THE GOD watching over you and me...and the sparrow.

5 comments:

LeRay said...

WOW! Powerful words and even more power filled life! Thanks for sharing George with us.

olivia and henry said...

sim, these words are so thoughtful and sweet, and so very true of george's life. what an amazing man of God. what a precious couple. george glorified our Father here on earth, no doubt about that.

Nat Pat said...

wow. what a legacy. isn't that cool how the Lord uses His people to draw others to Himself? i didn't even know George but feel challenged by the impact that he had on your life. thanks for sharing.

Amanda said...

Simri, you are such a fantastic writer. You put other blogs to shame! I loved reading this! What a beautiful legacy!

Nat Pat said...

hey- you've been tagged! check out my blog to see what i'm talking about...