Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I have just today finished a book by Francine Rivers called "And the Shofar Blew". It felt a bit cheesy at first and I set it aside to read a Nelson DeMille novel. After finishing that book, I went back to the Rivers book. It's a good book...enjoyable and sad and moving and pretty much what you want a piece of fiction to be.

Anyway, it's Tuesday and so I have more time to be pensive. With Avery at school and Asher napping, I drink in the quiet and indulge in uninterrupted thought. Most of the time I fritter away these precious few hours. They could definitely be used in a better form. And it's funny because that's the last thing I want to do...most of the time.

A few minutes ago I was struck with how hard it is for me to "rest". I am by nature a lazy person, so it's quite ironic and comical to think about how I spend my days dashing about the house straightening up the endless messes. It's got to be an outward display of something going on inside, right? And it's so sad that I prefer to tidy up over playing with our kids.

I'm not even sure why I'm writing this. It's not going to make much sense.

I think I have a lot of idols in my life. I think I live in a distinct place called denial. I think I'm terribly self-centered and prideful. I think I've said this all before and that goes to show what a heel I am.

Whether I put all of my efforts into straightening a house, obsessing over diet and exercise or escaping in to a book, it's all the same. I'm running and I can't seem to sit still. It sucks but yet it's so a part of me that it is too painful (or maybe just too hard) to effect true change.

A lot of people are sick and dying. I know that life could stretch for many years before I die. But I also know that my parents are getting older and while they wrestle with their mortality, I briefly ponder mine. We all hear endless stories of sickness and death: cancer rearing its ugly head and killing in short order, senseless tragic accidents. It's out there and waiting for its appointed time.

And that made me think on my brief way home from Target the other day after speaking to a neighbor about his wife's sick brother who has been estranged for many years but now has reached out because he is wasting away from terminal cancer. I don't want to chase after the wind. I don't want to be remembered by my kids as "the mom who stayed home with us...but was always busy puttering around trying to clean up". I don't want to waste hours involving myself in the affairs of others that have no bearing on my life (read: celebrities). I've got enough before me that needs work in the way of relationships of the family kind.

Please pray for me. I am sincere in this request. I need help recognizing the idols in my life. And after that, the strength to crush them into fine powder so they are useless and irreparable. Pray that I would love out of obedience to Christ and that others would know that love. Pray that I would put blinders on when I start longing too much for the things of this world. Pray that I would be brought low when I am lifting myself up. Pray that my world would cease to exist only for me.

5 comments:

Creth said...

what an honest post! (sometimes I hate the way that things sound when on the internet, like I said, "what an honest post" instead of "what an honest thing to say!" which at least sounds more timeless and not so nerdy. I only mention this because I think you know what I mean)

anyway, at Bible study the other night we were studying a passage from "Walden Pond" specifically the part titled "Economy" which is a very-very relevant passage to what you're talkin' about. which was relevant to what we were talking about, Ecclesiastes. and half-way across the world, what my friend Christian was "talking" about in China http://itschinesetome.blogspot.com/2008/04/pause.html

so I was getting to the part where Thoreau mentions the "chief end of man" according to the catechism, which we discussed what that exactly is, what "to glorify God and enjoy Him forever" means. put simply I think to glorify anyone, but especially God is to obey. just think about how kids glorify parents, players-coaches, etc.

and to enjoy Him? well we know that doesn't mean to "happy" Him but what does it really mean to "enjoy?"

I think it's all about "now"

it just sounds funny to say "I'm enjoying the past" as I think the past is best kept a reminder, in books, you know- where you keep things that you wanna learn from. and you definitely can't "enjoy the future!" though I could definitely hear that comin' over the loud speaker at Epcot's "World of Tomorrow"

I'm pretty sure someone, and many times, has made the pun "injoy" but I think it's more than just funny. it's true. to "enjoy Him forever" means to recognize, always present, always aware of now. and for the Christian, that means joy whether in the midst of a storm on just soaking in the sun

finally I'm reminded of a prayer that was shared by the pastor of FBibleCD on Sunday, Ephesians 3:14-22

"for this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen."

amen.

.kp. said...

I hear you. I hear your heart.

My prayer for you is that you will differ from the average in that:

you will feel that inward longing for Him and do something about it.

you will acquire a lifelong habit of spiritual response.

you will not be disobedient to heavenly vision.

And as David put it so neatly, "When You said, "Seek My face," my heart said to You, "Your face, O LORD, I shall seek." Ps 27:8

These are specifics that I pray for myself and I hear you calling out the same things. You are being prayed for in this home.

Amanda said...

Reading this was like looking in a mirror. I will pray for you...and me.

alexis said...

thank you, sim.
you inspire me. i love you for being you. i am praying for you and for me (aka selfish).

Honeycutt Family said...

Idols...yes. I am in the same boat of trying to flush those out.
Thanks for you honesty.
Praying for you (and me) as we follow Christ.
Love,
Jen
P.S. Matt and I listened to "And The Shofar Blew" on tape when we drove from CO to TX one summer. It was a bit cheesy (most books on tape are--those character voices are funny), but we liked it too. I have wanted to read Francine Rivers "Redeeming Love". Always heard good things about it.