Monday, April 25, 2005

in the company of Anne Lamott

i just finished Travelling Mercies by Anne Lamott. I don't know if i connected with her like i hoped but i walked away challenged. i guess that's the best thing. i was consciously uncomfortable with her brutal honesty and use of colorful language, but amazed at her complete dependence on the saving power of Jesus. I mean, this woman drank of God's goodness and loved her neighbor and swore at her child and thought mean thoughts about her mother and believed in God! she calls herself a feminist and her faith led her to political slants that most christians would be very frustrated or down right offended. she made me uncomfortable because maybe she hit a little closer to home than i'm willing to admit. none of us are saints even though we spend so much precious energy on playing the part. i don't think any of us would get a good review even from the most soft-hearted critic. Read her. Be offended by her crappy past and use of swear words. Feel uneasy about her liberal ideas and the fact that she is a feminist. But i guarantee you'll shift in your seat when you see how much she trusts and relies on God and the Truth she lives by. She is me. she is you. she is a follower of a Savior that likes "those kinds" of people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am on this page with ya friend.

Let's just say that I have seen people, myself included, who "are not righteous, no not one" and have become more aquainted with the sin patterns and destructive ways of our nature and have also known the deepest kind of love of Chirst through His word, prayer and people. So much so that I have learning through life and celebrate recovery to share such things in the light...with others in my life...and not hide behide the "Hi my name is Jenn, I am a Christian who no longer sins, who is perfect, and has it all together" card. I have met some of the most awesome people who love Christ and as we all do, still struggle currently with hurts, habits and addictions. There are some struggles, that yes, if God so chooses and we face the struggle head on, He may or may not heal us from such a struggle completely. 2 Corinthians "For when we are weak then we are strong." Of course this is not a liscense to do what ever you want it's just to say simple that God uses all things for His glory...He has used my sins of the past to help encouage women now in recovery, He is using my current struggles as well. That is what is amazing to me. The very things I think I need to "get a grip on", "change in my own strength", "just love the Lord more and my sin will go away" is nothing more than a perfortmance nature that states if "I" try hard enough, then I can heal myself of these things...these sins. The issue is not to be struggle free or even to struggle less because some how God loves me more when I am not struggling as much? thats the lie...

the truth is when we struggle, ask Him and others to walk alongside us during the struggles. I have been loved deeply in the midst of my addictive patterns and destructive ways.

I didn't have to cleaned up and look good on the inside and outside. I mean I have known what it is like to hit rock bottom and be loved in the pain, suffering, unbelief, lack of faith, through the sin and seen the grace that covered me then and covers me today. I find it refreshing to be around those who are honest, just flat out honest, having come clean with some of their stuff,I am talking about the stuff people hide and never bring up.... I find that I am in good company....loved by Christ "while I was a sinner, Christ died for me [the ungodly]. It has helped me with my judgementalism and self-righteousness to love people where they are not where I think they should be...extend love, grace listen and be authentic and live by the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

enough said