Friday, May 18, 2007

summer reading

A friend asked me to list my top faves for summer reading. I'll share a few I think are worthy of checking out - you do the same!

1. Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty - I found this book delightful. A story of triplet sisters during their 33rd year. This is the first book by this author and I think she knocked it out of the park. If I were to ever write a book, this is what I would hope for.
*L, S, comical V*

2. Aunt Dimity Series by Nancy Atherton - A true "cozy" novel. Nothing profound, nothing "R" rated - just a good snack book. Lori, a thirtysomething mom to twin boys and wife of lawyer Bill, gets into trouble and finds adventure in small town Finch. Aunty Dimity is a...well, you'll have to read to find out. I have read most of them and really enjoy their simple, sweet small English town feel.

3. The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas - Not for the faint of heart. AMAZING! One of my all time favs. It is LONG but holds you until the very end. Told from the point of view of a Roman soldier at the crucifixition, we journey with him as he seeks to learn about this man called Jesus.

4. Any chick lit book from Kristin Billerbeck. She sets her stories in the Sillicon Valley. Single gals navigating through life, love and the occasional spa trip. Fun! Fun! Fun!

5. Lord Peter Wimsey series by Dorothy Sayers - my hands down favorite books. I love Lord Peter, I love the time period (20s and 30s) and I love the location (England). She is a smart writer, dripping with dry wit - that wonderful british humor. She was a contemporary of CS Lewis and one of the first women to attend Oxford. She has written both fiction and nonfiction. I have read all of the Wimsey series and always hope to stumble upon an undiscovered one.

I'll start there. Those at least have stuck with me. So often I read a book and never think about it again. And I'll have to be honest - I never make it through self-help books nor do I choose non-fiction too often.

Alright folks, start posting your faves!

*UPDATE* - Just finished The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. Very very good! I had a good cry.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sim!!! You are awesome and fast!! Have you ever read the Red Tent? I bet you would like it. Ok now that i have my list i can hit Barnes and Noble with my mom's day gift card!!!
LeRay

Amanda said...

Simri! You know, one of my favorite things about you is that you like to read. It's so inspiring. Love you!

Honeycutt Family said...

Those sound good...I will have to check them out!
One of my favorites is "Blue Like Jazz" by Donald Miller. It is non-fiction, but is written like a stream of consciousness and a super-easy read.
You MUST read "Secret Life of Bees" if you haven't yet! It is GREAT!
Our book club is reading some Jennifer Weiner and Jodi Picoult books this summer. They are both good chick lit books. Weiner is a little bit "racey" though (some sex and bad language).
Jen

Amanda said...

I'm reading Christ The Lord Out of Egypt by Anne Rice. I never thought I'd read an Anne Rice book before! I'm loving it.

LeRay said...

Yes, Secret life of bees is a great book. I just finished Three Wishes. It was a hoot. I wouldn't be surprised if someone didn't turn it into a movie, it seemed to read like it would easily be a movie. I am reading a book now called Between Georgia, not sure what i think yet... I will let you know.
L